- Student Life
- Support SC
Partnering for a Sterling Education
Throughout Sterling College's 125-year history, students have been transformed during their years on campus. At this crucial time of life, students are educated with a Christ-centered worldview, and encouraged toward lives of significance and purpose. A Sterling education prepares students for vocation, but more importantly, for life.
We invite you to join us in this great enterprise of preparing leaders for a world in desperate need of the kind of graduates Sterling produces. By joining the Cooper Society, you support student scholarships, technology, and an outstanding faculty.
For 125 years, and into the future, we will continually strive for academic excellence, and thank you for your partnership in helping us to increasingly provide a Sterling education.
"Being members of the Cooper Society has been an act of faith for my husband and me - like a farmer who sows seeds with hope that the seeds will mature. We see Sterling College as good ground where today's students can flourish and be prepared for the world. This investment was made by others for our generation and now we are challenged to act for future generations in faith."
Levels of Giving
Cooper Society membership recognizes five levels of giving. Four levels are named in honor of the first four Sterling presidents whose leadership spanned 83 years of service. The fifth giving group recognizes the successive generations of leadership that are necessary to ensure the ongoing legacy and mission of Sterling College.
- Spencer Clan $1,000 to $2,499
- Campbell Clan $2,500 to $4,999
- Kelsey Clan $5,000 to $9,999
- McCreery Clan $10,000 to $24,999
- Heritage Clan $25,000 and above
"When we think of Sterling College, we immediately think of family and friends. We met at Sterling and cherish the common background that this gives us today, over 40 years later. We have fond memories of the caring and committed faculty members and Christian focus that we found in the day-to-day life on campus. The life-long friendships make returning to campus for Homecoming and other events such a special opportunity to strengthen those bonds. We've been blessed with a second generation of family and friends as a result of our daughter, Tricia, having also shared the Sterling experience."
- Ken '70 and Jane (Milligan) '71 Davidson, Cooper Society Founding Members
Annual Membership of Cooper Society
The Cooper Society is a community of Sterling College alumni and friends who care deeply about Sterling College and who annually invest significantly in its mission of developing creative and thoughtful leaders who understand a maturing Christian faith. The Cooper name harkens back to the College's earliest days when it was known as Cooper Memorial College and refers to its first building, Cooper Hall, which continues to be the signature building on campus.
The Cooper Society's membership consists of those who contribute a minimum of $1,000 annually in support of Christ-centered higher education at Sterling College. The society recognizes the cumulative total of all gifts to the College during the course of the fiscal year (July 1 to June 30).
- Invitations to a variety of events throughout the year, including two briefings where members hear firsthand about the latest developments at Sterling and about the College's plans for the future.
- Receiving special print and electronic communication from the Office of the President of Sterling College.
- Free admission to theatre productions and concerts.
- The satisfaction of making a significant investment in Sterling College's mission of developing creative and thoughtful leaders who understand a maturing Christian faith.
Sterling College at a Glance
- Sterling's students/faculty ratio is 14:1
- A campus-wide program for spiritual growth features chapel services, Bible studies, alternative chapel options, student initiated worship times and service projects, on-campus leadership opportunities, and many student ministry opportunities, both local and global.
- Almost one out of every four students has participated in cross-cultural mission experiences.
- Tuition for the 2012-2013 academic year is $20,950 with room, board and tuition totaling about $28,000.
- More than 90 percent of students receive financial aid, while others receive awards for excelling in academics, arts or athletics.
- Sterling students pay 64% of the cost associated with their education.
- In 2012, a $1,000,000 renovation project was completed in the Student Union and cafeteria.
- Sterling has more than 20 majors and over 50 programs of studies, including several online programs.
- Seventy-eight perfect of the 2012 graduating class completed either an internship or clinical teaching during their time at SC.
For more information about the Cooper Society, please contact the Vice President of Institutional Advancement.